Saturday, August 20, 2011

Every Journey Begins With a Step

Welcome to my blog!

I started this blog to document my progress as I embrace my naturally curly hair.  I have been "natural" for a long time. Most people wouldn't even know! My last relaxer was in January 2007. I was going to Miami to meet my then boyfriend's (now husband) family. My stylist and I had decided that that was going to be the last one. I was a little nervous but he assured me that I could continue to achieve my relaxed look with flat ironing. And I did! I wore a weave for a little bit wile I was on my exercise kick before my wedding and after the wedding I only wore my own hair. By that time it was as long as the weave had then.  I knew I was addicted to my weekly salon sessions but I was ok with it. I was in and out of there in about an hour


Relaxed Days

Miami 2007



My weave
Relaxer Free


I moved farther away from my salon in June of 2009. It made my visits a bit more time consuming but I was still able to work it out. Sometimes I would go after work or my husband and I would make a day trip out of it. But around this time I was not blind to see that my hair was starting to control my life and affect my plans


In November 2010, I had my son. He is my everything and as a result everything changed. A few days after delivering him I began to have night sweats ( I didn't even have this while pregnant!). A press and go girl cannot be sweating at night. So I decided to braid my hair during my maternity leave. During my leave I started finding YouTube videos on natural hair styles. These girls looked great. I'm not embarrassed to say I didn't even know what a braid out or a twist out was before this. I always like the way my hair looked after I had braids in it but i never thought that anyone did that on a regular basis. Dumb, I know! My little boy was born with a head full of hair and I wanted to know how to maintain it and maybe even manage my own.  My own hair was suffering. It would look hot for a few days and then bam! not so hot. I also noticed that it was actually breaking a bit ( gasp) and as a result losing length.

 
Admiring my length 2009


Me and my beautiful son

Is this a braid out??

So I took the plunge and tried a twist out. On a Thursday and figured it was going to have to work cause I had to go into the lab the next day. I am happy to say that I was quite pleased with the results. My coworkers loved it.  I took a picture of it at the bathroom at work to see what my mom and sister thought.  They like it too! But most importantly I liked it!! 

Famed Bathroom Shot


I tried again a month later but the result wasn't as good. Beginners luck I suppose. But I decided I will persevere! I currently have hair appointments booked all the way to December (I told you I have a problem)  and as of right now I plan to honor (most) of them. When the new book comes out on November to plan for the next year I will try to refrain from filling it up. In the coming months I need to learn hot to rock my fro and love my hair. I vow to post regular updates to keep myself accountable. I want to regain time, money, and myself. I don't even know my texture. I've never been a girly girl who can whip something up. I don't even like how a mirror is the opposite  view ( lame huh) I comb the wrong way haha. In a years time I will know my hair. And if I even have a daughter she will know hers too.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment